Friends of the Aiken Public Library
Summer Reading Program
This program has been going on for several years. It is not strictly a Friends of the Aiken Public Library program; it is run by the ABBE Regional Library System, with a substantial financial contribution from Friends of the Aiken Public Library.
The Summer Reading Program is designed to encourage reading, foster family literacy, create lifelong learners, and improve school skills. A variety of activities is tailored to different age groups. They include:
- Preschool Programs
- The library holds Story Times, where the Children's Librarian reads a suitable story to groups of very young children. In 2005, Story Time was held 21 times, with a total attendance of over 500 children.
- Afternoon Programs
- When children register for the program, they receive a bookmark, a reading log, and a guide to weekly programs at the library. Participants are encouraged to read anything they like. Even young children can participate by designating a book buddy to read to them. At the end of the summer, children who have reached the ten-book reading goal will receive a free book, paid for by Friends of the Library and other sponsors. Last year, 13 Afternoon Programs were held, and over 1,100 children attended.
- Young Adult Programs
- Programs of interest to older childen and teenagers are held at the library. For example, one of the programs last year was a Fear Factor Food Challenge. Three Young Adult programs were held in 2005, with a total attendance of nearly 30 young people.
- Family Fun Nights
- Family Fun Nights may be a family story time, a performance by a professional storyteller, folksinger, puppet show, etc. The Southland Express Cloggers have performed in the back parking lot the past two years, and Twin Dragons Martial Arts and Fitness did a program on children's self-defense for us last year.
- Splash Down Party
- The splash down party is our big finale. The Fire Department brings out a fire truck and the firemen spray the kids in the parking lot from 30 minutes to an hour and we make free sno-cones for the kids and their parents.